Engaging External Torque Chain
Movement: Rectus Abdominus Opener
Why do we do the movement?
- The rectus abdominus opener – neck (nod yes) is for increasing mobility in external torque in the main arch. Engagement is established, creating external torque awareness in the Rectus Abdominus, Gluteus Medius, upper Trapezius and Latimus Dorsi Remember mobility is range of motion while maintaining proper torque. The point here is to work on mobility in external torque and NOT internal torque. We want the athlete to know how to distinguish between internal and external torque chains.
Awareness: External Torque
Main Focus is to establish awareness in the Main Arch External Torque (Main Arch)
- Rectus Abdominis Posterior Chain
- Gluteus Medius
- Trapezius (High)
Coaching and setup/position:
- Lay on your back on the floor.
- Entire body spread out on the floor with feet together.
- Kettle bell placed above the naval.
- Hands on the handles of the Kettlebell.
- Inhale and expand rib cage out as far as you can while flexing glute medius allowing your stomach and rib cage to press outward against the kettlebell.
Credit: Tyler Reiter